- 1 large zucchini, shredded and squeezed to remove liquid (about 2 cups packed, after the liquid is removed)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 ears corn, kernels removed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- canola oil for frying
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic, saute for 3 minutes or until the onions are starting to soften. Add the corn, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt and pepper. In a 1 cup measuring cup mix together buttermilk and the egg until well combined. Add sauteed veggies, zucchini, and the buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal. Mix until everything is combined.
- Wipe your skillet clean. Pour in enough canola oil to just coat the bottom of the pan. Once hot, scoop about 1/4 cup of the fritter batter into the pan. I fit 4 in my pan. Let cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with salt.
- Continue cooking the fritters. You may need to add more oil as needed.