Sweet Potato and Chicken Posole
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 8 – 10 cups chicken broth
- 3 – 6 oz. cans of green chilies diced (or grab some spicy peppers from the freezer if you preserved some!)
- 1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium jalapeños, diced with seeds removed (depending on your love of heat)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil over medium heat. Add chicken breasts or chicken thighs. Cook thoroughly. Season with salt/pepper and set aside. You can either wait until chicken is cooked to dice or shred or if you are impatient, like me, take a flat ended wooden spoon and break apart the pieces as they cook.
- While the chicken browns, cut the garlic, onion & jalapeño. Also, chop the cilantro, peel & chop the sweet potatoes and set both aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion & jalapeño. Cook until softened.
- Transfer the garlic, onion & jalapeño into a blender or Cuisinart. Add canned green chilies & chopped cilantro. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the mix into a stock pot and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, for 3-4 minutes until the mix darkens. (This step can easily be skipped for time, but I think it adds a little more depth of flavor.)
- Add chicken and chicken broth to the stock pot. Bring to a slow boil or simmer. Add diced potatoes and cook until fork tender (about 10 minutes).
- Serve with garnishes, if desired