Summer Squash and Fennel Galette
- Herbed Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 6 -7 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, quartered, cored and sliced crosswise
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb summer squash, cubed (about 2 medium zucchini or 3 yellow squash)
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes (or 1 large tomato, chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup grated asiago cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Make the crust. Place the flours, salt and basil or thyme in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to blend. Add chunks of butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water and blend until mixture forms a ball. Divide into 2 balls, flatten into discs, wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion, fennel and garlic. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to release their juices, then cover and cook for 5 minutes, until fennel is tender.
- Uncover, add the squash and tomatoes and increase heat to medium high. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the wine and cook until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and the oregano.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out 1 dough disc between 2 sheets of wax paper into a circle about 1/8 inch thick. Trim the edges with a knife, but don’t get too particular — it doesn’t have to be a perfect circle. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Heap half the filling to the center of the dough, then spread evenly to within 1 1/2 inches of the edge. Fold the crust up over the edge of the filling, pinching every inch or 2 to hold the dough in place. Sprinkle the exposed filling with half the remaining grated cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, filling and cheese. Bake until the crust is lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.