Southwestern Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 scallions, whites and greens chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken, beef, pork OR crumbled firm tofu OR extra beans
- 1 teaspoon each ground chipotle powder and adobo seasoning (or your choice)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (frozen works fine)
- 1 can (15-ounces) unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- butter or iceberg lettuce, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Heat olive oil in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Add the scallion whites and cook for about a minute. Add the garlic and any meat/tofu you are using. Sprinkle your seasoning into the pan. As the meat cooks, break up with a spatula into smaller pieces.
Once the meat/tofu starts to brown, add the red pepper and the black beans. Mix in with the meat mixture and cook through. Season with additional salt if necessary (and you can also add additional taco seasoning if desired). Transfer to a bowl.
Break off individual butter lettuce leaves, rinse and pat dry. Spoon your mixture into the bowl on the leaves, and garnish with cilantro and scallion greens.