Fudgy Dark Chocolate Beet Brownies
- ½ pound fresh beets, scrubbed
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for buttering parchment paper
- 8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped or chips
- 1¼ cups (150 grams) white whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- Place beets in a saucepan and add water to cover by ½ inch. Set over medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25-35 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to ice bath until cool. Transfer cool beets to food processor and pulse until minced.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a 9-inch by 9-inch brownie pan with parchment paper; lightly coat with butter.
- Cut sticks of butter into tablespoon size chunks and place in a heavy saucepan. Add chopped chocolate and cook over very low heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate begins to melt. Remove the pan from heat and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, gently mix the eggs for about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and brown sugar; mix on medium-high until light and airy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed and add minced beets then slowly add chocolate mixture and mix just until combined. Slowly add flour mixture and again, mix just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow brownies to cool for 5-10 minutes then transfer with parchment to cooling rack.
- Cut and serve warm, at room temperature, or straight from the refrigerator.