- ½ loaf day-old Italian bread
- 3 ears sweet corn, steamed or boiled
- 1½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped purple basil (aka opal basil)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Tear the bread into bite-size chunks. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stirring once about half way through.
- Meanwhile, use a knife to cut the kernels from the ears of corn. (Hold the corn vertically on a cutting board and cut down so that the kernels fall onto the board.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the kernels of corn, tomato, cucumber and basil. Stir well. Then, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the corn mixture. Stir well to combine. Add the bread to the bowl and stir well. Let sit 10 minutes, then stir again.
- Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and serve.