Basic Refrigerator Dill Pickles
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- pickling cucumbers–enough to pack a quart mason jar. It’s up to you whether you want to leave them whole, cut them lengthwise into spears, or slice crosswise. You wil fit the most by slicing crosswise.
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp allspice seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp celery seeds
- 2-4 medium cloves garlic, cut into long thin pieces
- 2 Dill flowerheads or 2-3 sprigs of dill weed.
In a small saucepan, bring water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place pepper, allspice, mustard, celery seeds, and dill flowers in the bottom of a clean quart-size ball jar. Pack cucumbers in tightly. Drop garlic pieces into the jar around and between cucumbers. Carefully pour your brine over your cucumbers, being sure to cover them completely. Seal tightly. Turn the jar gently until seeds have distributed throughout the brine. Place in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.